Tuesday, August 23, 2011

IFTAR PARTY

Recently a Muslim friend of mine called me over for an Iftar Party. Iftar is understood as an event where a Muslim after a day of fasting, breaks their fast. This is a detail of my experience for I have never been to an Iftar Party.
I was called at 6:00pm and I arrived on time, with another friend of mine. My host was there, however to my surprise no one else had arrived. The hall had been cleared and carpets were spread out in the hall. While waiting I helped my host and his mother to set things up. Three ‘thals’ were set up on low stands. At first I thought that ‘thals’ were pronounced as ‘thala’, but I was corrected.
Further guest began to arrive at 7:00pm. The friends that arrived were mostly of the host’s brother. In fifteen minutes over ten more people arrived. By 7:15 over twenty people filled the room, some of the host’s brothers friends and some of his own friend. Before the food was bought the host’s father came in and formally shook everyone’s hand before leaving for an important meeting.
The first plate of the meal arrived and was placed on each thal. A few of the Muslims that were there went inside the house to pray, while a few others started to call the most reliable source of information, their mothers, regarding the time of breaking their fast.
The first dish consisted of fruits, mainly watermelon and dates.
The second dish consisted of chicken roll.
The third dish consisted of ragada patties.
The fourth dish arrived and actual ‘boos’ were heard going around, because vadas were served.
The fifth dish consisted of chicken patties.
The sixth dish consisted of a whole chicken dipped in a delicious curry sauce.
The seventh dish was the main course, that is ran biryanni. A full plate was served on the thal. Biryanni rice accompanied by a whole piece of roasted mutton leg.
And for desert ice-cream was served.
The whole meal started from 7:30pm to 9:30pm. And it was delicious and filling.
However for some it was so filling that they, (they claim) that the food was filled right up to their throats.
However more than the food, the experience was every bit of worth it. Meeting new people, experience a culture that I have not experienced before.

No comments:

Post a Comment